Tuesday, January 5, 2010

NYE Happy Camp

Snow Craft I. AKA Snow Camp. AKA Happy Camp.

This was my boondoggle and it was to be on New Year's Eve 09-10.

The idea is to train all those going out in the field about how to survive. You know, dig survival trenches, start a stove, operate a HF radio, risk management theory, and a white-out scenario (Bucket heads). Joining me was our mountain guide instructor and nine other students: 3 scientist grantees, 2 janitors, 1 IT instructor, 2 firefighters, and 1 kitchen staff.

It was the most unique and sober way I've rung in a new year: sleeping on a deep ice shelf at the foot of an active volcano as the sun circles the sky all night long.







1 comment:

  1. Impressive....I have been thinking of you for days now. It must actually be summer where you are...if that's within range of the imagination. makes me think of winter survival training I took AND taught in Rangely for the Naval Base fliers. A long long tie ago, we used parachutes to make teepees, but then again, we had trees to draw from. And on the coastal part of the training we had the mudflats of the ocean.
    xoxoxo Charlie

    ReplyDelete