Tuesday, May 28, 2002

Gran Poder

From Bolivia, May 28, 2002
(The post below is from a group email I sent to my friends and family while traveling years ago. I include it in this blog as an archive to my travels. It remains in the the raw state that I originally sent it, foolishness of younger years intact, typos and sics untouched.)


recovered a bit from the mountain, and reinjured a bit from the nightlife... regardless it was Gran Poder in La Paz! it is the biggest festival in Bolivia, although i`m not too sure about the meaning of the festival, i`ve figured what its all about. it`s really rather hard to avoid. a 20+ hour parade through the streets of the city, 20,000 dancers and marching band members storming through the city in outrageous costumes and masks. 50 entrant groups in the parade each with different dances, costumes and music, each symbolizing something different and usually pagan. confetti, cerveza, singani, wandering food vendors, mischievous children, winking women and fraternal drunks. i`ve never seen anything quite like it....

scanning some photos now...

happy memorial day all my fellow yanks...

j

No comments:

Post a Comment